Friday, September 12, 2008

What Were You Doing on 9/11?

What was your experience? How were you feeling that day? What was going on wherever you were?...

Sept/ 11th 2001 was such a sad and horrible day...Fucked up and tragic in so many ways...I think about that day a lot, even when it's not around the anniversary...

On Sept. 11th 2001, I was in my last semester of college. I was living with a boyfriend at the time, who listened to a radio every morning. I got up and started listening with him after the first plane had hit the North (?) tower...I listened to the little handheld radio until the building fell...for some reason I was too awestuck/terrified to even think about turning on the TV...(my boyfriend was kind of a hippy and didn't like TV's anyway though)....

shortly thereafter he and I walked down to campus. I happened to go to college in a town that is a state capitol. I recall the capitol being completely barricaded off by those stripey white and orange wooden baracades...cop cars were all around the capitol. No one could get in if they tried I think...when we got down to the main area of campus there were these huge speakers up...people were sitting and listening to the speakers...

I later ended up at the student Union (a couple of hours later)...I was in horrible pain. I was in "the" car accident a few weeks earlier...(the one that totally fucked me up and I still have problems as a result)...I had to call my Dad to come and pick me up...at the Union there were 3 big TV's, and student were glued to them...

I actually ended up in the ER later that night...I was in horrible pain, and my arms were shaking...I was fine, but in pain. No where near as bad of pain as those poor people in New York though...

I could get into more detail abut my day back then, but it really is insignificant in comparison to what those poor people went through...that was just such a screwed up time overall, for most people I know...and people I don't know...

What was your experience of that Day?

1 comment:

Donnie said...

I was fucked up! What's wrong with me? :) That's how I felt. I had the flu, was lying on the couch watching it all unfold live on t.v. Two things came to my feverish brain. Dead people and war! That's it. I took another hit of meds and went to sleep.